YOUR WHINE IS YOUR WORK
The whine of the Hellenists becomes the unique way they serve the kingdom and everybody ended up doing better.
- What injustice in the world bothers or frustrates you?
- The Hellenists were frustrated by the treatment of their widows, what did they do with their frustration?
- What was the solution that the leaders brought forth? Who was invited into this task (hint, all the names mentioned are Hellenist names)?
- Who do you know that is doing the work that is right for them?
- What was the end result of each group taking on their specific tasks?
- What task might you undertake because of your frustration?
Stephen followed his savior Jesus in life and he followed him to his death.
- The text says that “they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he (Stephen) spoke.” What do you think those discussions were like?
- When they could not argue him down, they resorted to dirty tricks. What do you think was their motivation and rationalization for doing this?
- What strikes you about Stephen’s summary of the Hebrew Bible?
- What made the leaders so angry at Stephen?
- What strikes you about Stephen’s attitude during his death?
- What Martyrs can you give thanks for?
Psalm 103:1-5, Isaiah 12:1-6
- What are you thankful for right now?
- How is giving thanks connected to exalting?
- How does giving thanks work against forgetting?
- What does it mean to draw water from the well of salvation?
- How does thankfulness weave its way through your day?
- What is one practice of giving thanks you could add to your routine?