Kingdom greatness is measured by a wholly different standard- servanthood!
- How do we measure greatness in our culture?
- Who are some people you would ascribe greatness to?
- How does Jesus measure greatness?
- Who are people you know who might be great by Jesus’ standards?
- Why might Satan want to sift Peter like wheat?
- What is significant about Peter’s upcoming denial?
GRIEF IN ACTION
In grief Jesus still prays your will be done, Lord.
- What is your perspective on weapons?
- How do we balance a Jesus who lives non-violently with a Jesus who encourages the disciples to buy a sword?
- What was the anguish Jesus faced in the garden?
- What strikes you about his prayer?
- What do you think it means to stay awake? Do you struggle to stay awake?
Peter did not know Jesus even though he thought he did.
- Go back and read this text again pretending that you were part of the crowd watching. Use your imagination, what do smell, hear, feel?
- What do you notice about how Jesus interacts with the soldiers?
- What made Peter act like he was not connected to Jesus?
- Can you empathize with Peter?
- What if Peter was not lying when he said that he did not know Jesus? What about Jesus does Peter still not know?
The Christology of the Mocking Guards
- How does it make you feel to picture Jesus being put through this mockery?
- What specific questions are asked, and what specific answers are given?
- What do you wonder about Jesus’ indirect answers to their questions?
- Who in the passage seems to have a true understanding of Jesus’ authority?
- How do our views of Jesus change when we are in different seasons of knowing him? When he challenges and confuses us?