THE MYSTERIOUS BEGINNINGS OF THE PHILIPPIAN CHURCH
God works in mysterious ways
- Where have you experienced closed doors in your life?
- How has the Spirit led through the closed doors?
- Where have you seen God at work in mysterious ways?
- Where are you experiencing a closed door right now? How might you allow the Spirit to lead in the midst of it?
A GOD WHO EMPTIES HIMSELF
Jesus emptied himself and God exalted him, as followers we are to do the same thing.
- How does Paul describe the experience of Jesus emptying himself?
- What does emptying oneself look like in 2022?
- Where do you see people going after “empty glory?”
- Where might you be tempted to go for “empty glory?”
- What does surrender look like for you today?
THOSE WHO PROCLAIM JESUS OUT OF SELFISH AMBITION
Paul has grace towards those who proclaim Jesus for selfish ambition
- What brings you joy?
- What work has God begun in you that you are encouraged to know that God will bring it to completion?
- Can you imagine an imprisonment helping to spread the gospel?
- Who do you see that might be proclaiming Jesus for their own advancement? Can you be as gracious as Paul?
LIVING IS CHRIST, DYING IS GAIN
Paul is open to following Jesus in life, or in death.
- What do you think Paul means by to live is Christ and to die is gain?
- What feels like fruitful labor to you?
- How do we see Paul emptying himself for the Philippians
- How would you describe living a life worthy of the gospel of Christ?
- Paul describes suffering as a privilege, how does that sit with you?
GENUINE CONCERN AND NO WHINING
A Life Hack: No Grumbling, No Arguing, Show Genuine Care for others.
- Where are you tempted to murmur and argue?
- Why might murmuring and arguing not be inconsistent with working out our salvation?
- What would your life be if you didn’t ever murmur or argue?
- Paul describes Timothy as someone who is genuinely concerned about one’s welfare, do you know someone like that?
- How might you be able to live like Timothy?