Week 1: OCTOBER 3
The Prodigal God and the Presbyterian Son
Receiving God’s invitations
- When has the generous mercy of God frustrated you, conflicting with your understanding of justice?
- Where are there places I need to open up my expectations of God?
- Where is joining in God’s celebration a practice of obedience for me?
Week 2: OCTOBER 10
The Full of Faith Manager
The best risk we can take is to risk it all on the grace and mercy of God.
- What surprises you in this parable?
- What was the risk the manager was taking by re-writing the accounts?
- The manager is untrustworthy, but the Owner still commends him for his shrewdness, what is the owner commending?
- What would it mean for us to live like the manager?
- Where do you struggle to live out your trust in God’s mercy?
Week 3: OCTOBER 17
Lazarus and the Rich Man
Privilege doesn’t matter in the kingdom.
- How do you deal with the unjust financial system we live in?
- How does the rich man display his privilege throughout the parable?
- Where are you privileged?
- There is only one parable with a character with a name. The name Lazarus means one who God helps. What are the reasons that Jesus might have named this one character?
- What difference would it make if someone was raised from the dead, like say Lazarus?
Week 4: OCTOBER 24
The Widow and the Unjust Judge
Pray always and do not lose heart.
- Luke tells us that Jesus tells this parable so that we might pray always and not lose heart. What is so important about praying?
- What is so important about not losing heart?
- How is this story about prayer and not losing heart?
- The surprise ending is that God will grant justice, how does that sound to you?
- The second surprise is that Jesus asks about faith, how does that strike you? What might be Jesus saying here?
Week 5: OCTOBER 31
The Rich Young Ruler
- What do you notice and what do you wonder in this passage?
- What seemed to be blocking this young man from inheriting eternal life?
- How does money get in the way of our spiritual journey?
- What are ways to safeguard our life from this major obstacle?
- What does faithful stewardship look like?